Thursday, February 29, 2024

In November 2023, I taught a Masterclass to MSW students at California State University Northridge on "Social Work for Urban Under Represented Communities".

I taught a Masterclass to MSW students from California State University Northridge on  "Social Work for Urban Under Represented Communities". 

I taught them innovative activism and how to represent and uphold the rights and bring the issues of silenced and underrepresented communities to the mainstream for social justice. 


I cited so many examples of my early activism work through video films, storytelling and performing arts which were very successful. 

'My Mother' a short documentary film by Sowndharya Gopi was also screened at the class room to teach them on amplifying the voices of underrepresented issues of transgender persons. This film was particularly about the relationship of mothers and their transgender daughters which was so beautiful. The film was a result of giving a Handycam to Sowndharya in 2010 and encouraging her to film her life and her friends. She brought such a small but very powerful film.

My experiences as an activist in using available tools for activism successfully and not really considering financial support as a block for creative activism was a very important lesson the MSW students learned from me in the Masterclass. 

I also spoke about using AI art for activism and my concept of transgender food festivals which were a super bringing visibility and opportunities to transgender catering entrepreneurs. 
I feel honored to share my experience and knowledge as an activist to American and international students.  

No comments:

Post a Comment